Remember those proverbial advises such as "Family comes first!", "Charity begins at home", "Family is a haven in a heartless world", "A friend in need is a friend indeed"?
It's important to note here that while family and true friends never expect anything of us besides our own good, it doesn't mean that we should distance them and engross ourselves in the virtual world and in our quest for perfect careers. True friends and family not only provide us with the much needed reality check now and then but also act as cushions of comfort and encouragement during the hard times. They know us closely and do not judge us by the our exteriors or by the virtual profiles which mostly reflect our own desire on how we want to be perceived by others. Our family and friends know who we are, they know our strengths and shortcomings and most importantly they also know of our limitless potential. They are the ones who often encourage us and propel us towards our success when the rest of the world is hell bent on bringing us down.
So even though I absolutely agree with all those who are too busy in their lives and explorations of their self, I would still urge each and every one of you to make some time for those who really matter. Time and tide wait for none and you don't want to regret later in case it gets too late to catch up. I am suggesting here a few ways in which you can stay connected. If you have any other tip, feel free to post it in your comment for the benefit of other readers.
- Call your mum-dad every night before sleep and talk to them for at least 5 minutes. Let them know you love them, tell them about your day, ask them how they are and send lots of hugs and kisses!
- Try to organize a family reunion every 6 months. Not only will it bring along reminiscence of old times but it will give your whole family the opportunity to create a new memory!
- Stay in touch with your closest friends through personal messages and weekly calls. You can also skype with them now and then and stay updated about each other's lives. And who knows you might end up making a joint adventure vacation plan to some place you fantasized about when you were kids!
- Everyone loves surprises especially when they are least expected. So how about you surprise your parents with a fresh flower bouquet on a Sunday morning with a note that says "I miss you!". Your parents' reaction will make your effort truly worth it.
- If you live with your parents but only catch a glimpse of them while you're on your way in/out, then it's high time you re-evaluate your activities and the importance of your family in your life. Try to catch up and interact with your parents during meals at the dining table and keep them updated about your life, dreams and goals. Also do not forget to ask them about their plans and life.
- A short and sweet text message now and then doesn't require much effort and time and is a great way to let your family and friends know that you think of them.
A person who has a strong relationship with his/her family and friends stays much happier and healthier than those who stay buried in their selves. Never forget that you're only a human being and not a machine. You not only need love but you need to give love too. So love lots, stay connected and take out time to make gestures that show you care.